Go For Broke National Education Center (GFBNEC) supports the legacy of Japanese American WWII veterans who served their country at a time when the United States denied their civil rights. Join us in advocating for civil liberties and equality, the cornerstone of our American democracy, by entering our 2021 student contest.
In addition to monetary award prizes of $250-$1,000, first place winners from each category will be acknowledged in our 20th Annual Evening of Aloha Gala on November 6, 2021. All winning entries will be published in an online booklet on our website.
TO ENTER: Submit a 400-500 word ESSAY, or a work of POETRY (2 typed pages or less) on one of the following topics:
- The Japanese American WWII veteran experience remains relevant to our society today. Explore one of the ways this is true.
- One goal of GFBNEC is to inspire new generations to embody the Japanese American veterans' core values of courage, sacrifice, equality, humility and patriotism. How has the Nisei veterans' story impacted your life, identity and/or values? How do you embody any or each of these values?
- Email entries by Wednesday, June 30, 2021, 11:59 pm PDT as a Word doc to email@example.com.
- Include: category you are entering; phone number; school/university currently attending; title of your entry; and 2020-2021 grade/level.
- Contest is open to all high school (9th through 12th grades) and college (undergraduate and graduate) students.
- 2020 winners are ineligible for entry in the same category but may submit an entry under a different category.
- Applicants who wish to be considered for the “Lawson Iichiro Sakai Memorial Scholarship'' must also submit an essay or poetry entry in the GFBNEC Student Contest. Contest applicants are not required to apply for the scholarship.
For more information, visit: https://goforbroke.org/
Click on: News > Annual Events > Student Contest