Hiro, 98, passed away on Jan. 19. He is survived by his wife Dorothy, daughters Celia Sekijima (John), Robyn Nishimura and Karen Nishimura, four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. Hiro served in the MIS during WWII, and through various times in his life was involved with the Seattle Betsuin Buddhist Temple, JACL, and the Nisei Veterans Committee. A private family memorial service was held. In lieu of flowers, remembrances may be made to either the Japanese Cultural Community Center of WA Seattle (JCCCW), 1414 S Weller St., Seattle, WA 98144 or Keiro Northwest, 1601 E Yesler Way, Seattle, WA 98122-5640.
Kazuo (Kaz) Ishimitsu
July 30, 1929 - January 4, 2018. Kaz passed peacefully in his sleep. During WWII, Kaz and his family were sent first to "Camp Harmony," a temporary detention camp in Puyallup, and then to Camp Minidoka in Idaho. He returned to Seattle after the war, graduated from Garfield High, and was drafted into the U.S. Army. He was owner and president of Ishimitsu and Sons and active in the Japanese community. Preceded in death by wife, Masue. Survived by children Peter Ishimitsu, Mike (Carrie) Ishimitsu, and Paul Ishimitsu; grandchildren Michelle (Mike Piper) Ishimitsu and Abby, Ryan, and Trevor Ishimitsu; sister Nobi (Jim) Murakami; and brother Kich (Bobbi) Ishimitsu.
Volume 68, Issue 4
- Commander's Column
- Community News
- New Energy & Leadership Displayed at the 73rd Annual NVC/NVCF Installation Banquet
- Kaz Kimura Marine Corps Scholarship Fund Created
- Memorial Day 2018 Keynote Speaker: Major General Tracy Garrett, USMC (Ret.)
- Tosh Okamoto Honored at Sea-Tac International Airport USO
- Chow Mein Dinner Bakery Donations Requested!
- NVC Scholarship Essay: Emily Ko
- Make Your Mess Your Message
- Tomodachi Reception
- Japanese Cultural and Community Center of Washington Gala
- Speaker Series: Kubota Gardens - An American Japanese Garden
- Volunteers needed - Placing Flags on Veterans' Graves for Memorial Day Weekend
- Troops Offer Thanks for Sending Them a "Cup of Joe!"
- NVC TAPS
- NVC Foundation Membership
- NVC Donations
- NVC Foundation Donations
- Endowment Fund Donations
- NVC Scholarship Fund
- April Speaker Series Ad: Don Tokunaga - FBI Special Agent
- May Speaker Series Ad: Ryan Yamamoto - The Tommy Kono Story
- SAVE-THE-DATE: NVC Memorial Day Service
- SAVE-THE-DATE: NVC Chow Mein Dinner
- SAVE-THE-DATE: NVC Annual Golf Tournament
- GiveBIG to NVC Foundation!
- NABVETS - All Women Veterans Day of Honor & Banquet
- Japan Fair 2018 - Friends of Japan Gala
- Go For Broke - Essay, Performance & Visual Arts Contest
April 2018, Volume 68, Issue 4Tweet