NVC Newsletter


February 2017, Volume 67, Issue 2


Arthur N. Doi, 93, died peacefully on January 22, 2017.  Born in Seattle, Washington on November 10, 1923, Arthur was the eldest of five children with three sisters and a brother. They were all Nisei, second generation Japanese Americans.  Arthur attended Broadway High School in Seattle while World War II was underway.  In 1942, the year of Arthur’s graduation, all persons of Japanese ancestry on the West Coast were ordered to detainment by Executive Order 9066.  As he and his family were being deployed to a concentration camp at Minidoka (Hunt, ID), Arthur received his high school diploma at the Puyallup Assembly Center, a fairground turned into temporary detention en route to Minidoka.

From these mass incarceration camps, many young Nisei men sought to demonstrate their patriotism by enlisting in the armed forces.  Their country had lost faith in them, but faith was not lost in their country.  In 1943, Arthur enlisted in the U.S. Army out of the Minidoka camp and served his country in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team, a Japanese-American unit, the most decorated for its size and length of service. As a member of Cannon Company, he was awarded a Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster.  In May 2012, Arthur was a recipient of the Congressional Gold Medal, an award honoring the heroic wartime contributions of Japanese American soldiers from the 100th Infantry Battalion, 442nd Regimental Combat Team, and the Military Intelligence Service.

After the war, Arthur met and married his wife Osame.  They had three daughters, Kathryn (Howard Ferrier), Susan, and Carol (deceased 1972) in Sacramento, CA. Arthur and Osame shared a love of travel and were married 66 years, until Osame’s death in May 2016. Arthur was the proud grandfather and great grandfather of his grandson Andrew Ferrier (Katie), Colin, and Charlotte; and granddaughter Lisa Ferrier (Dan Johnson), Josephine, and Evelyn.

Please send donations to the Go for Broke National Education Center, 355 E. 1st Street, suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90012; Nisei Veterans Committee, 1212 South King Street, Seattle, WA 98144; or Parkview Presbyterian Church, 727 T St., Sacramento, CA 95811.



Hal Haruo Ise was born in Wapato, WA on March 2, 1923 and passed away on January 15, 2017 at Keiro Northwest Rehabilitation Center at the age of 93. Hal enjoyed a long career at Boeing as a manufacturing engineer and enjoyed traveling, fishing and going to casinos in his retirement.

After Executive Order 9066 resulted in Japanese and Japanese Americans being incarcerated, his family was sent to the camp at Heart Mountain, WY. Hal left incarceration to travel east and join the US Army, where he served from 1944-46. After discharge, he lived in Montana before joining his parents in Seattle.

Hal was preceded in death by his wife Miyoko; his brother Yoshio in Japan; and by his parents Chokichi and Take in Seattle. He is survived by sister Iyoko Pao; nephew Masazumi of Salt Lake City; sister-in-law Toshi Fukeda and many nieces and nephews. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to Seattle Betsuin Buddhist Temple, Keiro Northwest, or the Nisei Veterans Committee.



George passed away peacefully at home on January 12, 2017. He was born in Bryn Mawr Washington, on May 16, 1925, at a home with ten other children, attended grade school then went to Franklin High School. George and his family were incarcerated at Minidoka and Tule Lake. When he turned 18, he volunteered for the Army and was part of the historical 442nd Regimental Combat Team. After the war, he helped with the family greenhouse and eventually became the owner of George's Appliance Center in downtown Kent for 37 years before retiring in December 1997.

George loved all sports. His favorite activities were fishing, bowling, golfing, gambling, and cheering on the Mariners and Seahawks. He is survived by brothers John and Gabby; sisters Sachi Hori and Toshi Takahashi; his wife of 38 years Judy; children Tim, JoAnne, David, Kay, Rick and Shelly; 7 grandchildren; and 3 great-grandchildren. 

George and his kind heart will be missed by all who came to know him. In lieu of flowers, remembrances may be sent to the Nisei Veterans Committee, 1212 S. King Street, Seattle, WA 98144. 


Joe Kiyoto Terada was born in National, WA on May 17, 1925, and he passed away on February 8, 2017 at Park West Nursing Home.  As a nineteen-year-old, he was inducted into the U.S. Army out of Camp Minidoka, Idaho April 29, 1944 and joined the 442nd RCT in France later that year.  He saw action with the 442nd in I Company and was discharged from the Army on January 30, 1946 and served several years in the U.S. Army Reserve.

Joe met and married his wife of 55 years, Hideko, in Kobe, Japan and they had two sons, Gregory and Scott who live here in the Seattle area.  On the afternoon of 16 February 2017, the NVC had a folded memorial flag presented to Hideko during a private service for Joe in the Memorial Hall Chapel of the Seattle Buddhist Church with the service performed by Reverend Sala Sekiwa.


GROVER K. YAMANE, MD, MPH, Colonel, USAF (retired)

Dr Grover K Yamane was born in Seattle on October 30, 1959 and passed away in San Antonio, TX on December 6, 2016 at the age of 57. Grover grew up on Beacon Hill in Seattle and graduated from Cleveland High School. He later graduated from Yale University and then New York Medical College, completing his Family Medicine Residency in Kingston, NY and his General Surgery Internship in Buffalo, NY.

Dr Yamane received his Master of Public Health from the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio before completing his USAF Residency in Aerospace Medicine at Brooks AFB, San Antonio. His 20 year USAF career included assignments in Panama, Germany, England, Texas and Florida. After his USAF retirement, he continued practicing medicine as the Occupational Health Physician at the San Antonio Military Medical Center. Dr Yamane was also very active with BSA Troop 485, serving as an Assistant Scout Master for over 10 years.

Dr Yamane is preceded in death by his father, James Hiroshi Yamane. He is survived by his wife Jill; sons Maxwell and Miles; mother Tsuruyo; and sister Karen. Donations in his memory may be made to the Epilepsy Foundation, FARE (Food Allergy Research Education), or by performing a random act of kindness.